How Old Do You Have To Be To Get Your Real Estate License
Short answer is you have to be 18 or 19 years of age to get your real estate license depending on the state. However, below you will find some tips on how to get into the industry even earlier!!
If you are considering at a young age to have a career in the real estate business consider the following strategy to begin your real estate education while you are in high school or even middle school for that matter.
Before Getting Your Real Estate License
Search in your local market for a high profile Broker / Agent. Seek out those agents who have the most real estate signs around. They are the ones who you want mentorship.
They are considered “Listing Agents.” And listing agents are usually the most successful. These are the ones you want to reach out to.
Call them with the following:
“Hi my name is Steve and I am 15 years old. My goal is to become a successful real estate agent. You seem to be very successful yourself and I would like the opportunity to work with you.”
“I know there is always additional work to be done and I would like to offer FREE labor for two months (Min of 15 hours per week) in exchange for mentorship. Is this something that you would have interest in?”
The Real Estate Agent Is Interested Despite My Age
The first most important lesson of sales is ASKING QUESTIONS. “Is this something that you would have interest in?” Is a classic sales question and the real estate agent is going to recognize it.
Once they say yes or maybe then your next sales question is the “Close.” Ask them the following: “Fantastic! What is the best time for us to meet and discuss details? Friday at 4:30 or Saturday at 11am?”
If you handle the conversation this way, I see you have no problem getting the position and likely future paid position.
Show Up Ready
The day has come to meet them (or several real estate agents). Remember you MUST find the right fit. Don’t settle. Go on your hunch. Does it feel right?
Be prepared. Dress nice and be put together. Be ready to learn. Express your interest in being a future real estate agent and are eager to begin learning sooner than later.
Benefits To You
Just because you are too young at this point to get a real estate license doesn’t mean you cannot benefit tremendously at a young age. Some benefits for this scenario:
- Your goal is to outperform their expectations. This could lead into an hourly / salary position.
- They potentially could pay for your real estate schooling / licensure when you come of age.
- You may become part of their team such as a “buyer’s agent” in the future. Check out this article on Real Estate Teams.
- If you have chosen the right mentor, you will learn a tremendous amount of skill set and knowledge just by being in their presence.
- You will begin making real estate commissions fairly fast once you turn 18 or 19 years old.
Real Estate Tasks Offered
Most successful real estate agents will have plenty of tasks for you to work on. Some are as follows:
- Assisting in preparing for open houses with signs, flyers, etc. Try to attend these with them as well. Watch, absorb and learn.
- Flyer / Marketing creation / design work.
- Stuffing / Sealing / Mailings
- Social Media Marketing (Just think how much more advanced most 14 year olds are over the 40 year old).
- Craigslist Ad Postings
- Follow Up phone calls / appointment setting (For the more advanced).
Age Is Just A Number In Real Esate
Despite how old you have to be to get your real estate license you can get a big jumpstart in your future real estate career if you follow these suggestions.
I’m not sure about you, but I started working at the age of 11 cleaning hotel rooms. It was terrible. Even at that age, I knew I was going to do something in the real estate field. However, I would have much rather have been stuffing and sealing envelopes for a real estate agent then cleaning toilets.
It is on you despite what age you are to create opportunity. Even if you are over the age of 18, the suggestions above can still work in your favor. Try it.
So what’s stopping you? I have dedicated a lot of time to this website to use my experience, education, successes and failures to give an insight to others interested in the real estate industry. Feel free to read and reread the articles set forth.
I wish you much luck in your real estate endeavor!